[tor-talk] Tor and Financial Transparency

Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> bastik.tor at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 30 14:38:21 UTC 2013

30.08.2013 Juan Garofalo:
> At 02:16 AM 8/30/2013 -0700, you wrote:
>> Juan Garofalo:

>>> So if facts can't be denied, and basic principles of politics and
>>> economic 'incentives' can't be denied, the best course of action
>>> is to call any critics "tin foil hats".
>>>
>>> I get it. It's a very amazing...non-argument.
>>
>> Seriously?
>
> Seriously what? You don't understand that baseless name calling shows
> that you don't have a leg to stand on?

"Why are your words shaped so strangely?"

(I should say lines, but that's a quote)

>> How long have you been on this list?
>
> Check your logs.
>
> How long have you been studying political theory and history?

"Are you okay?"

>> We discuss methods of subverting the NSA/GPA/key theft adversary
>> every time it comes up here. It turns out this is actually a hard
>> problem. It also turns out we're not doing *that* bad.
>

> I didn't make any comment about any particular technical issue.

Indeed, there was no source for any issue whatsoever.

>> Unless of course you believe that all the leaks through Tor were
>> sanctioned and/or orchestrated by the military industrial complex.
>
> What are you talking about?
>
>> In which case, can I just say "Scoreboard, plz?" I think I can
>> still say that here. We'll see... Avenge my death? ;)
>>
>> Anyway, I would ask that you attempt at least one of the following:
>>

>> 1. Respect our efforts on this front. We're doing our best with
>> what we have 2. Provide citations to support your conspiracy
>> theories of Tor's subversion
>
> Tor is funded by the US government. Your own sources.

Indeed, it is.

> Tor doesn't work against a 'global adversary'(that is the US
> government). Your own sources.

Note quite global, but at important places. Not sure how fine-grained it is.

> Biggest 'hidden' server on the network apparently taken down...by the
> US government.

As it seems this was not the fault of the 'hidden service system', most
likely one hidden-service failed due to the software that was used,
which lead to the takedown of all hidden-services affiliated with the
one that failed.

> But you know what? I never said tor was 'subverted' by the US
> government. Tor isn't 'subverted' - it just flawed...by design.

Fair enough, if that's what you believe, then please make your own
thing. Create something better than Tor.

>> 3. Find better meds 4. Go fuck off

"Baby, did you forget to take your meds?"

> Uh oh.

End,
Sebastian G.