[tor-talk] Iranian users cannot download Orbot from Google play store

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Fri Aug 30 11:59:58 UTC 2013

Sherief Alaa <sheriefalaa.w at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Over the past couple of days Iranian users have been complaining about
>not
>being able to download Orbot from Google's play store (error 403).
>
>To solve the problem we at help desk send the official direct download
>link
>that GP provides[0] but it's only a matter of time before that get
>blocked
>too.
>
>I think GP will need to provide more download options in the future to
>avoid this problem.
>
>[0]: https://guardianproject.info/releases/orbot-latest.apk

Just to point out something, it was only recently that Google Play was made available at all directly in Iran. The fact that users can find the app without filtering is a big step forward.

We are working with Google and others to understand why the 403 error is happening, because the download should be using HTTPS.

Otherwise, you can also find Orbot in the Amazon App Store and via f-droid.org.

Thanks for the note.

+n