[tor-talk] Many more Tor users in the past week?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri Aug 30 04:37:06 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:59:55PM -0400, Collin Anderson wrote:
> Firstly congratulations Tor; secondly this seems pretty solvable with math
> and what not. I downloaded the direct connecting users csv and created a
> spreadsheet between the start of the month and the end. It seems that it
> was the confluence of many states increasing their censorship of the
> Internet, especially instances like Vietnam and Facebook. Here is the raw
> data:
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amq69Ncu9Fp_dDlFYWhDZlNCTkdfWGhFWGlCOWFFNWc&usp=sharing

Thanks for the visualizations Collin.

Heck of a confluence. And as Runa points out, it includes great gains
in countries where that makes little sense.

I think the most plausible explanation is that a Tor client got bundled
in something and a lot of users upgraded. What that something is is
anybody's guess.

But I am compelled to point out that your table has one data point that
will keep the bellies of conspiracy theorists full for months: the only --
only! -- country that didn't gain was Israel.

--Roger