[tor-talk] Tor and Financial Transparency

Collin Anderson collin at averysmallbird.com
Thu Aug 29 19:22:35 UTC 2013

Hi Juan,

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Juan Garofalo <juan.g71 at gmail.com> wrote:

>         You seriously think people are going to believe that?  I mean the
> bit
>
>         "parts of the US and Swedish Governments...want to see strong
> privacy
> and anonymity exist on the Internet"

So, this is perhaps a privilege (or corruption) of perspective, but
governments are not monolithic. The best description about this is a
statement by Gen. Hayden, former Dir. of the NSA and CIA:

*“We need to pull the rest of American thinking into this in a relevant
way.  Secretary Clinton gave two speeches on cyber stuff while she was
secretary.  And if you’re you know you think of the world as security and
liberty she broke left literally both times in both of her speeches she
came down on on cyber freedom.  Society at the same time cyber communities
out there are trying to crack the nut on anonymity on the net because you
realize that’s the root of many many dangers out there as cyber communities
just chugging away at that. The secretary of state is laundering money
through NGOs to populate software throughout the Arab world to prevent the
people in the Arab street from being tracked by their government.  Alright
so on the one hand we’re fighting anonymity on the other hand we’re
chucking products out there to protect anonymity on the net.”*

http://b.averysmallbird.com/entries/hayden-comments

Imagine that, the former director of the NSA accusing the former Secretary
of State of working against US interests by promoting anonymity. Even the
US Government is a large beast with competing interests, some parts are
bent on security and intelligence, some are just science research oriented,
and some have a material stake in the Internet privacy.

--
*Collin David Anderson*
averysmallbird.com | @cda | Washington, D.C.