[tor-talk] Inquiry about Vidalia/Tor bundle

Griffin Boyce griffinboyce at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 20:52:13 UTC 2013

On 08/27/2013 04:02 PM, Nathan Suchy wrote:
> Not a joke. I thought we were talking about TBB. Tor secures all traffic
> you send through it. In reality though wouldn't a secure VPN with no logs
> be just as safe?

  Short answer: no.  It's easy to map out your connection to the VPN
with traffic coming from the VPN.  Even if the VPN providers were honest
and had privacy policies, you'd still be open to traffic-correlation and
analysis.  It's not a big deal for someone in <Country> looking to play
<Video Game> or bypass a YouTube block. But journalists and other people
who need actual privacy shouldn't rely on a VPN to protect them.

~Griffin

--
"Cypherpunks write code not flame wars." --Jurre van Bergen
#Foucault / PGP: 0xAE792C97 / OTR: saint at jabber.ccc.de

My posts, while frequently amusing, are not representative of the thoughts of my employer.