[tor-talk] Many more Tor users in the past week?

mick mbm at rlogin.net
Tue Aug 27 12:15:16 UTC 2013

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 13:30:02 +0600
Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.net> allegedly wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 03:08:44 -0400
> Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > Anybody know details? It's easy to speculate (Pirate Browser
> > publicity gone overboard? People finally reading about the NSA
> > thing? Botnet?), but some good solid facts would sure be useful.
>
> Hello,
>
> Just in these recent days Russia has extended its Internet censorship
> to require ISPs to not just block things like child pornography and
> drug dealer websites, but also any websites against which a copyright
> complaint has been filed.

But the stats
https://metrics.torproject.org/users.html?graph=direct-users&start=2013-05-29&end=2013-08-27&country=ru&events=off#direct-users
for russia show a rise from around 17.000 to around 28,000 in a trend
which simply mirrors the global rise of around half a million. So I
don't think we can lay the entire rise on Russia's doorstep.

Mick

 Mick Morgan
 gpg fingerprint: FC23 3338 F664 5E66 876B  72C0 0A1F E60B 5BAD D312
 http://baldric.net