[tor-talk] Appearing American and VPNs writ large

Griffin Boyce griffinboyce at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 17:51:09 UTC 2013

On 08/23/2013 12:41 PM, Nathan Suchy wrote:
> I'd beg to differ. There are very good VPN providers that keep absolutely
> no logs so you would have anonymity in that case. I think a commercial vpn
> without logs is the best way to go but you could also handpick nodes (tor
> needs to have a auto feature which can auto pick nodes by country. Covert
> Browser for IOS allows you to pick your exit node.
  You're assuming that there's endpoint anonymity and that no one could
correlate you connecting to Server A and a piece of traffic coming from
Server A at the same time.

  At a basic level, this type of correlation is responsible for Jeremy
Hammond's arrest (his VPN disconnected from IRC right as he lost
internet -- deniability is useless here).  And any iOS device is likely
keeping track of your recent server connections.

  If I had a week, I couldn't list all the cases where someone mislaid
their trust in a service provider to protect them.

  Deniability is dead.  What Tor provides is unlinkability.

best,
Griffin

--
"Cypherpunks write code not flame wars." --Jurre van Bergen
#Foucault / PGP: 0xAE792C97 / OTR: saint at jabber.ccc.de

My posts, while frequently amusing, are not representative of the thoughts of my employer.