[tor-talk] So what about Pirate Browser?

Peter Tonoli Peter+tor at metaverse.org
Mon Aug 12 23:36:59 UTC 2013

On 8/13/13, 1:41 AM, Ω ✭ wrote:

> On 2013-08-10, at 11:42 AM, Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> Randolph, please stop calling your thing "torbrowser". I hope no users
>> are stupid enough to think they should get their Tor Browser Bundle from
>> you, but your choice of name makes it clear that you're not trying to
>> be a member of the Tor community.
>
> Further to that point, that project's site at http://torbrowser.sourceforge.net makes an effort to further confuse users by mimicking the official Tor Project website, albeit poorly. I think this kind of deception raises some pretty major red flags regarding the goals of the 'torbrowser'.

Perhaps, if there's so much concern about this SourceForge project, list
users could create one star reviews on the project page at
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/torbrowser/>, and put 'fake' or similar
in the comments??

According to the project page, there were over 300 downloads this week,
and it's been rated an everage of 4.4 out of 5.

My 2 cents.