[tor-talk] So what about Pirate Browser?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sat Aug 10 18:42:49 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 08:03:38PM +0200, Randolph D. wrote:
> urgh, another Firefox mashup?

Well, at least they didn't try to shmush the word Tor into the name.
More power to them, I say.

Though I would also recommend that they get in touch with Mike, Erinn,
and others about the Tor Browser Bundle, so they can be aware of upcoming
development plans (for example: I bet their Pirate Browser would be
even better if it were based on thew new Tor Browser Bundle 3.0 series,
once it's stable enough).

That said, why only Windows? They won't get as much help from developers
if they have only a Windows version.

(Also, they say Iran, but I suspect their current bundle won't work in
Iran since vanilla Tor (without Obfsproxy) is blocked there. But then,
it's probably just a publicity stunt to start their country list with
Iran and North Korea.)

> https://sourceforge.net/projects/torbrowser/
> is with a secure QT Browser and they  should have used this, as it has no
> Firefox backdoor.

Randolph, please stop calling your thing "torbrowser". I hope no users
are stupid enough to think they should get their Tor Browser Bundle from
you, but your choice of name makes it clear that you're not trying to
be a member of the Tor community.

--Roger