[tor-talk] Can the Hidden Service ever be FAST?

Arian Sanusi arian at sanusi.de
Tue Aug 6 08:42:05 UTC 2013

>> If relays were homogeneous distributed among the globe, two random relays will be 1/4 earth circumference apart on average.
>
> That assumption is a bit skewed. Most of the time fast relay will be
> selected, and they aren't quite randomly distributed. (Also bear in mind
> that one half of the earth surface is almost entirely water and doesn't
> take part in equidistribution.)
I know, the "if" is there for a reason ;) Also even homogenous distribution on a halve sphere  makes delays position-dependent, and I really do not want to calculate that.

>> This means that a round trip will have a speed of light delay of 12 hops * 10 000km each / 300 000 km/s speed of light.
>
> ...compensated by the fact that very few cables do not contain solid
> insulation or light guides, and thus slow the signal down to 200000km/h.

"very few cables" - I really like this choice of words.
Also increasing delay: cables between nodes tend not to be great circle sections and therefore longer than my estimate.

regards, Arian