[tor-talk] Is Tor still valid?

krugar tor-admin at krugar.de
Mon Aug 5 20:28:17 UTC 2013

this may be a bit of a tangent to your firefox/TBB exploit question, but
it is an answer regarding the validity of TOR:

TOR is not designed to withstand global passive attackers. it tries to
select relays from different AS to create circuits that leave the area
of influence/surveillance of local passive attackers like ISPs or
(smaller) countries.

if you look at the distribution of guard and exit nodes around the globe
( https://compass.torproject.org/ ), you will notice that quite a lot of
them are positioned inside "western" countries, like the US, Sweden,
Germany or the UK. this means that there is a good chance for systems
that sit at the crossroads (TEMPORA comes to mind) to see all
connections that make up a tor circuit, elevating the scope of said
surveillance system from a local passive attack to a global one. whether
GCHQ and friends have figured out how to stitch TOR connections together
is another question, but they should have access to enough data to
deanonymize a large percentage of all tor traffic.

in regards to evading western surveillance, TOR seems pretty much fucked
unless there was an influx of relays in places that do not cooperate
with the western snooping systems AND that do have secure direct
sea-cables between them. if places like that even exist anymore.

cheers :S
-k