[tor-talk] Tor User Groups

hack at riseup.net hack at riseup.net
Mon Aug 5 15:55:52 UTC 2013

Hi Tor talk,

I noticed some of the minutes from the dev meeting in Europe, there was an
idea floated in the "Love for Volunteers" section about forming
geographically based user-groups around Tor.
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2013SummerDevMeeting/LoveForVolunteers

So, given I know at least 1 other passionate tor user in local outside
space, that is sort of a group.

We are based in Sydney. At the moment the idea consists in announcing it
to the world and heading to a pub at a certain time and then proceeding to
talk about what we always talk about anyway (which usually involves Tor).
@sydtor

I have some experience helping people with Tor at 4-5 cryptoparties, but
they tend to be quite large and not amenable to more technical
discussions. Some good things came out of that though, like an
appreciation for the usability issues with Vidalia.

So, tor talk, what sort of ideas do you have for such a concept? How can
we make this succeed? I hope down the line we can see the possibility of
perhaps having a bit of a hackathon in a structured manner that see's a
ticket or two crossed off the tracker.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,

malaparte
aka @djon3s