[tor-talk] Tor's reputation problem with pedo, some easy steps the community could take

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Mon Apr 29 23:38:40 UTC 2013

On 4/29/2013 4:18 PM, mirimir wrote:
> On 04/29/2013 08:29 PM, Chris Patti wrote:
>
>> OK, you're right.  That's a bad idea - what about clearly labeling the pedo
>> sites as pedo sites?
> Maybe Tor-optimized-Firefox needs a default "safe browsing" plugin.
>
> Also, maybe at least some pedo, etc .onion sites would voluntarily label
> themselves. Except for the trolls, I can't imagine why sites would want
> attention from those who despise them.

I'm not quite sure for whom the protection from undesirable sites is
mainly intended - children / teens, using Tor?

If I do a search w/ StartPage, Ixquick or even Google, if an unsavory
result appears, I just don't click it.  I've also never been redirected
from say, Fidelity Investments or EFF.org, to a porn or pedo site.

Is it a huge issue to avoid these sites, or is it just the idea that
some using Tor can access these sites?

There are plenty of other anonymous proxies, even daisy chaining them,
or first using another site that masks IPs, before using proxies; using
public hotspots while wearing a ski mask, that could be used to access
illegal sites / material.  Tor isn't the only anonymity game in town.