[tor-talk] Tor's reputation problem with pedo, some easy steps the community could take

Guido Witmond guido at witmond.nl
Mon Apr 29 20:47:01 UTC 2013

On 04/29/2013 10:11 PM, h0ost wrote:
> Calls such as these, to begin systematic attempts at flagging
> directories and removing links, are nothing but thinly disguised
> attempts at imposing censorship and control on the Tor network. Let's
> be honest and call it what it is.

To answer two questions at once:

There is no single right solution! And there is no easy solution. Never.

With censoring child porn. I believe it's a good thing. To help the
victims.

Abusing that censorship to censor political speech: absolutely not.

And there are many shades of grey. Blocking known criminals that peddle
malware: yes please. Even though I believe we should strive for better
operating systems that are immune to these attacks. Having a censor
blocking these sites makes my life easier so I don't have to *second
guess* every website out there. That only makes me paranoid.

Like most things, it's a matter of balance. And eternal vigilance. And
oversight over the censors. Guarding the guards. I certainly want to
hold my censors accountable.

Even better, let me select my censors to my liking. Filter child porn
and criminals and politicians that I don't like all you want. I decide
whether to use your filter or not.

Let's make sure there is always Tor to overcome too restrictive censors.

Regards, Guido.