[tor-talk] Tor's reputation problem with pedo, some easy steps the community could take

Chris Patti cpatti at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 20:29:22 UTC 2013

OK, you're right.  That's a bad idea - what about clearly labeling the pedo
sites as pedo sites?

And once again, please note I am in no way suggesting that *the Tor
project* undertake this effort, but that people who operate the hidden
directories might consider making it a little easier for new folks to avoid
this kind of content.

That's all.

-Chris

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 4:11 PM, h0ost <host at mailoo.org> wrote:

> Calls such as these, to begin systematic attempts at flagging
> directories and removing links, are nothing but thinly disguised
> attempts at imposing censorship and control on the Tor network.  Let's
> be honest and call it what it is.
>
> On 04/29/2013 04:03 PM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 03:30:37PM -0400, Chris Patti wrote:
> >> What about simply scouring all the directories, removing links to the
> pedo
> >> sites?
> >
> > Please do!
> >
> > That said, you're already falling into a trap when you say "all the
> > directories". I know the person who ran "the hidden wiki" -- he shut
> > it down in 2003. Now there are a pile of hidden service websites, all
> > claiming to be "the directory". There's clearly a need for this role,
> > but there is no official center or starting point. This is both good
> > and bad, as you can imagine.
> >
> >> And by doing so, you create an environment where people, taking
> advantage
> >> of the incredibly awesome work folks have done with OnionBrowser, who
> >> aren't necessarily Tor savvy can get a sense for what the system can do
> and
> >> come away with a positive impression.
> >
> > You should be aware that OnionBrowser isn't made by any Tor people.
> > I think that's the name for the closed-source package for various Apple
> > platforms, yes? (I hear it has some Tor components inside, but who
> knows.)
> >
> > --Roger

Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpatti at gmail.com | AIM:
chrisfeohpatti | P: (260) 54PATTI
"Technology challenges art, art inspires technology." - John Lasseter,
Pixar