[tor-talk] Tor's reputation problem with pedo, some easy steps the community could take

Guido Witmond guido at witmond.nl
Mon Apr 29 18:51:32 UTC 2013

On 04/29/2013 07:32 PM, Chris Patti wrote:
> Tor has a rather severe reputation problem at the moment.  Given the
> recent revelations around malware on the network, and the
> pervasiveness of pedophilia, I think we should consider a course of
> action to help boost the network's PR.
>
> For one - while nobody is interested in acting as the police and
> stamping out the pedo material, cleaning up links to pedo sites on
> the hidden wiki and the various other link dirs would be a good
> start.
>
> As a newcomer to Tor, as I explored the various onions out there, I
> felt as if practically everywhere I turned there were links taking me
> to pedo sites, IRC channels etc.
>
> I recognize that free speech means free speech for everyone, even
> those with views that we find objectionable, but there's nothing to
> stop the community from turning a cold shoulder to these people who
> see informed consent as being an optional or academic concept.

Hi Chris,

Here, in the Netherlands we have the hotline[1] to report sites
containing child porn. They will evaluate and report to the proper
authorities. Other countries may have similar hotlines.

It should be safe to report there, although I guess they already know
about onion sites. I'll inquire with them but guess it will take a few
days to get an answer, due to queen/king issues these days.

However, given the nature of onion sites, I don't know how the police
investigators could track and take down the source without defeating the
anonymity of Tor.

Perhaps the authorities already do and leave *us* in the dark. :-)

1: http://www.meldpunt-kinderporno.nl/EN/.htm