[tor-talk] geoip6

Justin Aplin japlin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 11:13:00 UTC 2013

On 4/12/2013 2:09 AM, eliaz at riseup.net wrote:
> Can someone tell me if I have to do something about geoip6 warnings?
>
> I've got a bridge relay running from a vista x64 machine. As with the
> past few TBB versions I'm still getting occasional message-log warnings:
>
> "Failed to open GEOIP file C:\Users\,<acctname>\AppData\Roaming
> \tor\geoip6."

Geoip6 is simply a text list of the approximate physical address of IPv6
addresses. Having this makes it easy to do things like display the
locations of exits on a map (as Vidalia can do). It's not at all
necessary for Tor to work properly, and won't affect either client or
server function, but it's a nifty feature.

> \AppData\Roaming\tor doesn't exist, nor does the subfolder
> \geoip6, as I'm running the bridge from from TBB installed on a USB
> stick. The installation seems correct, my geoip is in the data
> directory as usual. As far as I can tell the bridge is connecting to
> circuits as it should (though it's not carrying as much traffic as
> previously).

If you like, you can grab geoip6 from [1] and save it in your data
directory alongside geoip. If that doesn't fix the message, you can add
the following line to your torrc:
GeoIPv6File \path\to\your\datadir\geoip6

> I did find some discussion in bug tracker, but it's months old and
> doesn't suggest anything that I can do.
>
> So, do these warnings even apply to my relay installation? Can I
> just ignore them?

Feel free to ignore them; the only thing that will happen is that IPv6
exits won't show up on Vidalia's map. Traffic won't be affected in any way.

[1] https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/src/config/geoip6

~Justin Aplin