[tor-talk] Bridges from Tor-net?

krishna e bera keb at cyblings.on.ca
Fri Apr 12 04:48:16 UTC 2013

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 04:34:43 +0000
James Brown <jbrownfirst at gmail.com> wrote:

> What the developers think about implementing in the Tor-net bridges
> which will lead out from Tor-net?!
> Many sites including payment systems (like PayPal, Russian YandexMoney
> and others) and even banks now block connections from Tor-net which
> breaks privacy.

quoting
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#HideExits

"There are a few reasons we don't:

a. We can't help but make the information available, since Tor clients
need to use it to pick their paths. So if the "blockers" want it, they
can get it anyway. Further, even if we didn't tell clients about the
list of relays directly, somebody could still make a lot of connections
through Tor to a test site and build a list of the addresses they see.

b. If people want to block us, we believe that they should be allowed
to do so. Obviously, we would prefer for everybody to allow Tor users
to connect to them, but people have the right to decide who their
services should allow connections from, and if they want to block
anonymous users, they can.

c. Being blockable also has tactical advantages: it may be a persuasive
response to website maintainers who feel threatened by Tor. Giving them
the option may inspire them to stop and think about whether they really
want to eliminate private access to their system, and if not, what
other options they might have. The time they might otherwise have spent
blocking Tor, they may instead spend rethinking their overall approach
to privacy and anonymity."