[tor-talk] Tor 0.2.4.2-alpha is out

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Sep 10 22:49:31 UTC 2012

Tor 0.2.4.2-alpha enables port forwarding for pluggable transports,
raises the default rate limiting even more, and makes the bootstrapping
log messages less noisy.

https://www.torproject.org/download/download

(Packages coming eventually.)

Changes in version 0.2.4.2-alpha - 2012-09-10
  o Major features:
    - Automatically forward the TCP ports of pluggable transport
      proxies using tor-fw-helper if PortForwarding is enabled. Implements
      ticket 4567.

  o Major bugfixes:
    - Raise the default BandwidthRate/BandwidthBurst values from 5MB/10MB
      to 1GB/1GB. The previous defaults were intended to be "basically
      infinite", but it turns out they're now limiting our 100mbit+
      relays and bridges. Fixes bug 6605; bugfix on 0.2.0.10-alpha (the
      last time we raised it).

  o Minor features:
    - Detect when we're running with a version of OpenSSL other than the
      one we compiled with. This has occasionally given people hard-to-
      track-down errors.
    - Log fewer lines at level "notice" about our OpenSSL and Libevent
      versions and capabilities when everything is going right. Resolves
      part of ticket 6736.
    - Directory authorities no long accept descriptors for any version of
      Tor before 0.2.2.35, or for any 0.2.3 release before 0.2.3.10-alpha.
      These versions are insecure, unsupported, or both. Implements
      ticket 6789.

  o Minor bugfixes:
    - Rename the (internal-use-only) UsingTestingNetworkDefaults option
      to start with a triple-underscore so the controller won't touch it.
      Patch by Meejah. Fixes bug 3155. Bugfix on 0.2.2.23-alpha.
    - Avoid segfault when starting up having run with an extremely old
      version of Tor and parsing its state file. Fixes bug 6801; bugfix
      on 0.2.2.23-alpha.
    - Rename the (testing-use-only) _UseFilteringSSLBufferevents option
      so it doesn't start with _. Fixes bug 3155. Bugfix on 0.2.3.1-alpha.
    - Don't follow the NULL pointer if microdescriptor generation fails.
      (This does not appear to be triggerable, but it's best to be safe.)
      Found by "f. tp.". Fixes bug 6797; bugfix on 0.2.4.1-alpha.
    - Fix mis-declared dependencies on src/common/crypto.c and
      src/or/tor_main.c that could break out-of-tree builds under some
      circumstances. Fixes bug 6778; bugfix on 0.2.4.1-alpha.
    - Avoid a warning when building common_sha1.i out of tree. Fixes bug
      6778; bugfix on 0.2.4.1-alpha.
    - Fix a harmless (in this case) build warning for implicitly
      converting a strlen() to an int. Bugfix on 0.2.4.1-alpha.

  o Removed features:
    - Now that all versions before 0.2.2.x are disallowed, we no longer
      need to work around their missing features. Thus we can remove a
      bunch of compatibility code.

  o Code refactoring:
    - Tweak tor-fw-helper to accept an arbitrary amount of arbitrary
      TCP ports to forward. In the past it only accepted two ports:
      the ORPort and the DirPort.