[tor-talk] Tor and clock skew, was: howto: Raspberry Pi as transparent tor proxy

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Wed Oct 31 14:02:29 UTC 2012

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:09:05 +0000, adrelanos wrote:
> For relays that might not be such a big anonymity problem.

Ah, ok; sometimes it would help to point out that there is
a difference between 'it works apparently' and 'it is actually
preserving your anonymity'. I've yet got some to learn there.

> I think telling "my clock is off X minutes" in public with your name
> attached is a bad idea.

There are only two computers that even know the hidden service name,
and it's not an http service, and frankly, there is no reason to run
that hidden service except 'because we can'. :-)

(There are others where I use HS to ssh into a system that is behing
a NAT. Also completely not the thing it is designed for, but yet...)

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>