[tor-talk] Porn make the world more free: Tor Porn Bundle?

Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> bastik.tor at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 21 10:40:22 UTC 2012

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif):
> [...]
> Imho we may think to create something like "Tor Porn Bundle": A version
> of TBB specifically designed to provide easy access to Porn.

Since the current TBB can display images I assume that watching videos
is the goal of the Porn-TBB.

There was the (unanswered?) question (on tor-talk) if not all users
should consume their porn through Tor to avoid people sticking out,
because they have to use Tor to access it or if this would be bad for
the network.[1]

I assume that the load (no pun intended) would lead to congestion which
could hurt anonymity of other users. Well still better than
bulk-downloading. I also assumed that if all Facebook users suddenly
start using Tor to access Facebook the network would suffer from the
amount of traffic. (I have not validated any of my assumptions)

> Then promote it trough custom targeted campaigns across all Arab World
> (and language/countries where internet porn is censored).
> [...]

Tor might be already very unwanted in the "Arab World" because it allows
access to information that are also unwanted. Porn is one step further
and might them try to ban or block Tor even harder. ("Protect our
children from porn!")

> We should not underestimate the relevance of this need because it fit
> along with the "Basic" human needs, like eating.
> So the effort and perceived rewards that a person have working on the
> path to satisfy that need is very high.

They probably have something called imagination which could serve to
satisfy the need. Pictures (of naked ankles and naked angles[*]) should
be in reach with the current TBB.

(I'm not arguing against PTBB)

> In that hypothetical Torn Porn Bundle, we may deliver a pre-populated
> in-language list of porn websites.
> But also some "free" "in language" media website and other free / non
> censored information sources and social networking tools.

Are there any websites distributing their porn via HTML5 video? (A,
"Yes, there are!" would be enough, no links) Otherwise Flash will be
used and if they use the Porn TBB to access other information
anonymously Flash could shoot them in the foot.

On Youtube you have to opt-in for HTML5-video. They deliver Flash by
default. So I assume it's not wide-spread enough.

Maybe convincing porn websites to distribute their content via HTML5 (if
not already the case) would be helpful to this goal.

> As a side node i would like to remind that the "porn industry" is valued
> billion of USD.
> If porn industry would became partners of freedom of speech players, it
> could means a lot of money for investment in campaigning and technology
> development, because it would means opening new markets to them.
> Opening a new market means having new consumer that means they would be
> able to calculate the economic ROI of an investment.
>
> * Porn supported the development of internet backbone
> * Porn developed early internet multimedia streaming technologies
> * Porn may make the world more free

Some exit nodes run by the "porn industry" would be nice.

[1]
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2012-September/025538.html
[*] To some both is equally bad from their religious point of view.

Regards,
Sebastian (bastik_tor)