[tor-talk] Porn make the world more free: Tor Porn Bundle?

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) lists at infosecurity.ch
Sun Oct 21 07:48:14 UTC 2012

Hi,

i've been at internet governance forum (in italy) yesterday and
starteddiscussing a topic with several internet freedom/policy activists:

"porn make the world more free"

It seems a joke, but it maybe an important consideration.

A teenager (12-18 yo) in 2012 use internet porn websites for masturbation.
That's a real facts, i expect, almost everywhere.

In places like Saudi, a 14th years old young have a strong need of
masturbate like in any other place in the world.
But he don't have access to internet porn with his broadband internet
access.

In the Saudi example there are already now people providing paid (and
risky) access to porn for masturbation's needs:
http://arabnews.com/jailed-facilitating-porn-site-access
This as an example of a real need that stimulate people in finding
circumvention methods.

So, when a teenager in Saudi need to masturbate he have to find out a
censorship circumvention tool.

>From a marketing perspective this is a clearly definable "need" .

Ok, how can we think to make out of it (masturbation and porn) something
good for freedom of speech?

Imho we may think to create something like "Tor Porn Bundle": A version
of TBB specifically designed to provide easy access to Porn.
Then promote it trough custom targeted campaigns across all Arab World
(and language/countries where internet porn is censored).

Which would be the main result in mid-term?

That most teenagers (and also non teenagers, but probably in minor part)
in that closed-society will learn, understand and start using censorship
circumvention tool for an important, basic need: Masturbate!

We should not underestimate the relevance of this need because it fit
along with the "Basic" human needs, like eating.
So the effort and perceived rewards that a person have working on the
path to satisfy that need is very high.

In that hypothetical Torn Porn Bundle, we may deliver a pre-populated
in-language list of porn websites.
But also some "free" "in language" media website and other free / non
censored information sources and social networking tools.

That way, after masturbation, the user will be able to have a clear and
simple path to start accessing the web in a free way.

As a side node i would like to remind that the "porn industry" is valued
billion of USD.
If porn industry would became partners of freedom of speech players, it
could means a lot of money for investment in campaigning and technology
development, because it would means opening new markets to them.
Opening a new market means having new consumer that means they would be
able to calculate the economic ROI of an investment.

* Porn supported the development of internet backbone
* Porn developed early internet multimedia streaming technologies
* Porn may make the world more free

-naif