[tor-talk] help us:Korean government started to fine netizen who download child pornography without child

Andrea Shepard andrea at torproject.org
Sun Oct 21 06:22:51 UTC 2012

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 07:34:48PM +0000, Lee Whitney wrote:
> Eugen do you have children?  Not attacking you based on this but I'm
> curious how it affects perspective.
>
> In my mind it's pretty easy to drawn the line, things that have victims
> should usually be illegal and things that are unpopular but don't hurt
> anyone usually should be legal.  No slippery slope necessary.

... and yet, we have seen child pornography convictions in recent years
over cartoons [1] [2], written works of fiction [3] and obviously consensual
photographs taken by the alleged victims themselves [4].  There does indeed
to appear to be a slipper slope.

[1] http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120225-Missouri-Man-Pleads-Guilty-To-Possession-of-Cartoon-Child-Porn
[2] http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/01/07/20-years-for-loli-manga-%E2%80%9Cvictims-don%E2%80%99t-have-to-exist%E2%80%9D/
[3] http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=213003