[tor-talk] Is this a practical vulnerability?

Anon Mus my.green.lantern at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 20 10:44:09 UTC 2012

On 19/10/2012 15:40, Lee Whitney wrote:
> There are actually two possible explanations for what you saw:
> 	1)  Tor was compromised

If it was compromised then why would they have hacked the web server in
that manner and with such inaccuracy?

> 	2)  Your IP was discovered

Well, as I said, I tested the web pages for leakage. There was none.

> Maybe the test request you made logged your IP and then it could be
> anywhere.  Also as you know people are constantly scanning subnets for
> servers.
>
> I don't discount government snooping, it just seems a little crude for
> them to be tripping alarm bells on a small unknown target.

Perhaps they though I'd have no firewall and no logs.

Yes there are scanners, these were already blocked, but the web server
only went on-line the day the hidden service went in and it went
off-line 48 hrs later.

I never saw another such attack, neither before or after that. The
attacks stopped just a few days after I shut the service down.

When you consider that Tor hidden services could be used for all manner
of mil/intel purposes by any country with an internet connection and a
pc, then it begins to make sense.  Its not JUST snooping on Joe public.