[tor-talk] Android / Tor on x86 - was: Re: Tor on Bluestacks

adrelanos adrelanos at riseup.net
Fri Oct 19 22:45:39 UTC 2012

sy00963-gen at yahoo.fr:
> When trying to run Tor on Bluestacks (Android App Player for PC), I get "unable to start Tor"... any idea??

This is a very esoteric problem. Bluestacks is Windows/Mac closed source
software and I don't see how privacy is one of their goals.

Even if you could get it to work you are one of the very few people
using Tor on that platform.

I think the right people to ask are the Bluestacks maintainers.

What do you want to archive?

Maybe something like http://www.android-x86.org/ will be the better way
to go, but I guess that would require porting/recompiling Orbot for x86.

Running Android applications on x86 could be quite interesting though.

I read sometime ago android browsers are less vulnerable for browser
fingerprinting, because of less features, but didn't check if that's true.