[tor-talk] registration for youtube, gmail over Tor - fake voicemail / sms anyone?

Julian Yon julian at yon.org.uk
Tue Oct 16 17:38:08 UTC 2012

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 18:36:35 +0200
Mike Hearn <hearn at google.com> wrote:
> I don't see the distinction between "pay somebody to create an account
> for you" and "buy an account". Both types of activity are likely to
> hit various tripwires that will result in forced phone verification of
> the account later on. Bear in mind it's not just at signup. If we
> suspect an account is being used abusively then the account can be
> locked until you pass SMS too.

It's the difference between me (as a disabled person) buying a loaf of
bread from my neighbour, versus paying him to run to the shop for me.
It's an important distinction because at no point in the second case
does my neighbour own the bread. In terms of account creation, you're
paying somebody for the time & effort it takes them to set up an
account using your details (modulo the phone number you don't have) via
their uncensored Internet connection, i.e. to overcome the technical
obstacle. They're not reselling the Google service.

In the same way, when I set up an account for my
not-very-computer-literate partner I never transferred ownership to
her; it has always been hers, I just performed some admin. As my
condition deteriorates and my hands become less useful, it may be that
I have to ask people to do such tasks for me in future. I'm trying to
establish a “spirit of the law” here, because I can't see how it is
beneficial to require all users to physically create their account with
their own hands when there are many reasons why that might not be
possible.

Regards,
Julian

--