[tor-talk] TB download improvement

Matt Joyce toradmin at mttjocy.co.uk
Sun Oct 14 20:53:32 UTC 2012

On 14/10/12 20:33, Outlaw wrote:
> Hey there, Tor devs :) IMHO present torproject.org is very difficult
> for average internet user. For those who don`t know english well, it
> is almost impossible to find proper link.
>
> I think it is the question of resources - to provide multilingual
> website up to date, which Tor team just doesn`t have. So I have two
> suggestions that require minimal effort:
>
> 1. Easy one. Make a static link like
> "https://torproject.org/download/torbrowser-win-latest.exe"
>
> 2. A bit harder. Make a page for each language and OS with script that
> starts downloading latest release:
> "http://torproject.org/download/win/de" for example. Advantage of this
> method will be that you can provide some message, like version or
> other important stuff.
>
> People like one big red button DOWNLOAD and nothing else, so
> if you couldn`t provide it due to any reason, you can shift
> explanation and marketing stuff onto volunteers that can speak on the
> target group`s language. Without static links it is almost impossible to
> make people to "go there, click here, than choose there, don`t click
> anything else"...

While people may like simple click and go instant software setups tor
really doesn't much lend itself to that, to actually be useful requires
some understanding of the product and it's abilities and weaknesses on
the part of the user.  I would fear if the homepage just had a big
download button you will see many people click that, install then go off
about their day assuming they were protected while the whole time their
browser is still resolving DNS via their ISP and flash still full of LSO
trackers recording all over web and telling it all to
badads.dataminer.com (Not real address) every other site they visit.

Agreed that having more accessibility to at least the key documents
available in other languages would be a great addition however tor is an
open source project and like all open source projects for anything to
get done someone needs to volunteer the time and ability to do it.  As
such if you yourself or anyone else that would like to see translations
are able to speak another language pipe up and offer help.  I would
recommend that it is probably a good idea to co-ordinate it first before
proceeding to ensure that it can in fact be accepted.  Translations
present some special difficulties in some ways and there are a few
things that I suspect the project would want to be in place before
making significant moves like actually publishing such pages on the main
site as official project documents.

Of course there is the wiki
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki which to my knowledge is
currently in English only, I suspect if someone were to seriously
volunteer or better yet gather a small group of speakers together and
propose a namespace for documentation in some other language it would
probably be supported seems to me like the wiki offers a good place to
start out and then refine over time.  If I actually spoke any foreign
languages I would be inclined to help out on such myself but English and
Typo are about my limits unfortunately.