[tor-talk] Review request: TorVM implementation in Qubes OS

Abel Luck abel at guardianproject.info
Sat Oct 13 17:16:20 UTC 2012

Hey folks,

I've implemented a TorVM service for Qubes OS [1] and I am seeking
feedback from more knowledgeable eyes on the tor+iptables configuration.

Quick background to give this context:

Qubes is an OS based on Xen and Linux that isolates applications to
domains. Each domain is a virtual machine. Even networking takes place
in virtual machines.

My TorVM configuration is essentially an anonymizing middlebox for it's
network client VMs.

For a visual model of what this looks like see this image [2].

The relevant config is here:
https://github.com/abeluck/qubes-addons/blob/master/qubes-tor/start_tor_proxy.sh

I'm using tor-0.2.3 to take advantage of stream isolation.

Please scan the documentation for an idea of the goals of TorVM:
https://github.com/abeluck/qubes-addons/blob/master/qubes-tor/README.md

Soon I hope to provide a TorBrowser package (that doesn't use bundled
tor+vidalia to prevent tor-inside-tor scenarios).

Cheers,
~abel

[1]: http://qubes-os.org
[2]: http://s15.postimage.org/xrh0rh0s9/qubes_torproxy_config.png
     that image from this blogpost
http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.com/2011/09/playing-with-qubes-networking-for-fun.html
(NOTE: the configuration in this blog post is not what I've implemented,
see the script above)