[tor-talk] Tor coverage by Japanese media

andrew at torproject.is andrew at torproject.is
Mon Oct 8 11:31:07 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 03:29:23AM -0700, hidekis at gmail.com wrote 0.6K bytes in 14 lines about:
: Tor was just covered in Japanese media. (NHK)
: I haven't seen it yet (it won't be coming to Japanese channel in the
: States until 20th...) but it'd be interesting to see how this will
: affect Tor metrics.
: http://www.nhk.or.jp/zero/contents/dsp402.html
:
: Incidentally, I was actually interviewed by NHK about what Tor is
: useful for, however, had to be cut because of time constraints :-(

Thanks for sharing the link. I was also interviewed by a few Japanese
reporters a few weeks ago.

In talking to one of them, it seems the National Police busted a child
abuse ring in which one of the members was using Tor as a client. There
were lots of questions about anonymity and Tor only being used for bad. I
made the obvious statement that clearly Tor wasn't an impediment to the
police in busting the ring. They didn't feel the same way about TCP/IP
or .com domains being used in the proliferation of the child abuse
materials. The story was a reaction to 'omg tor' and hand-waving moral
panic.

Another interview was about Japan's new draconian copyright enforcement
laws. I suggested that laws such as these will only educate the citizenry
on how to encrypt and protect their traffic. This will hamper the future
efforts of law enforcement and not do anything to stop the copying
of bits. The reporter kept confusing copying with theft so I pointed
them at http://vimeo.com/50481436 and http://copyheart.org/ to suggest
there might be other opinions on the matter.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact