[tor-talk] TorBirdy GnuPG version curl-shim?

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir.in at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 21:02:10 UTC 2012

Hi,

adrelanos:
> System: Debian Wheezy
>
> gpg --keyserver-options debug --search-keys somethingnonexisting
>
> gpg --keyserver-options debug --search-keys somethingnonexisting
> gpg: searching for "somethingnonexisting" from hkp server
> 2eghzlv2wwcq7u7y.onion
> gpgkeys: curl version = GnuPG curl-shim
> gpgkeys: search type is 0, and key is "somethingnonexisting"
> * HTTP proxy is "null"
> * HTTP URL is
> "http://2eghzlv2wwcq7u7y.onion:11371/pks/lookup?op=index&options=mr&search=somethingnonexisting"
> * HTTP auth is "null"
> * HTTP method is GET
>
> Strange curl version? Is it the right or wrong version or is there
> another way to find out the curl version?

There are two GnuPG packages in Debian: gnupg (without libcurl and which
uses curl-shim) and gnupg-curl (with libcurl).

$ apt-cache show gnupg
 The gnupg package is built without libcurl. So it does not support
 the keyserver helper tools built with libcurl and supporting HKPS.

$ apt-cache show gnupg-curl
 This package contains the keyserver helper tools built with libcurl,

So you need to install `gnupg-curl' which supports SOCKS. We will also
update the documentation to mention this.

--
Sukhbir