[tor-talk] TorBirdy GnuPG version curl-shim?

adrelanos adrelanos at riseup.net
Sun Oct 7 18:49:41 UTC 2012

Hi,

I was testing latest TorBirdy suggestions:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/torbirdy

> We dropped Enigmail support for now to be able to drop the HTTP proxy
requirement. In most setups GnuPG requires a HTTP proxy to properly work
(not leak) on your system. If you are lucky and you are running gpg with
curl (>= 7.21.7) support, gpg can be used  without http proxy (gpg on
Windows has no curl support).

> To determine if your gpg installation has that kind of curl support
you can run gpg with debug options and look for "curl version". The
version number must be >= 7.21.7:

> gpg --keyserver-options debug --search-keys somethingnonexisting

System: Debian Wheezy

gpg --keyserver-options debug --search-keys somethingnonexisting

gpg --keyserver-options debug --search-keys somethingnonexisting
gpg: searching for "somethingnonexisting" from hkp server
2eghzlv2wwcq7u7y.onion
gpgkeys: curl version = GnuPG curl-shim
gpgkeys: search type is 0, and key is "somethingnonexisting"
* HTTP proxy is "null"
* HTTP URL is
"http://2eghzlv2wwcq7u7y.onion:11371/pks/lookup?op=index&options=mr&search=somethingnonexisting"
* HTTP auth is "null"
* HTTP method is GET

Strange curl version? Is it the right or wrong version or is there
another way to find out the curl version?

Cheers,
adrelanos