[tor-talk] Flashproxy questions. (Badge config, user interaction)

Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> bastik.tor at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 5 17:28:35 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Some questions about Flashproxy regarding the configuration by the one
that places the badge and what happens to the Proxy in various use cases.

http://crypto.stanford.edu/flashproxy/ does not have a contact form or
something the like. Since its bug tracker lives on torproject.org I ask
it here. Feel free to point me elsewhere.

According to the paper:
"... the badge is highly configurable for different scenarios:
– Opt-in vs. opt-out: [...] The Flash object will only be served to
users who check the box. [...] Moreover, the badge itself can be
configured to only begin proxying after the visitor clicks on the badge.
– Geographic limitations: The badge can be configured to only serve
clients in certain geographies."

(I consider opt-out a bad idea, because it happens without being
expected, plus it is not recommended for TBB users so you never know if
one visit a website containing such a badge.)

How can it be achieved that the badge is only active after it has been
clicked?

How can it be restricted to some geographies? (I'm just curious, don't
think it's something one would want)

Now I'm curios what happens if...? Most can be attributed to the lack of
knowledge of WebSockets.

What happens if I visit two websites that have the badge on them? (I'm
trying to be a proxy twice?, It breaks something?)

Does it affect the proxy state when I open a website with the badge on
it, open a link to the same website (but different page while every page
has the badge on it) in a new tab (or window) and close the original tab
(or window)?

(Does it break connections? Fetches [polling] requests again?)

What if I open multiple windows with multiple tabs? (or huge amount of
tabs in one window)
(Are too many connections to crypto.stanford.edu/flashproxy/embed bad?)

What happens if one opens multiple browsers (FF, TBB, FF Portable,
Opera, Chrome, Safari, IE, or any other) and visits a website containing
such a badge (or multiple websites with such a badge)?

The last question is mostly out of curiosity, but this may happen in
real life situations.

Be aware answering these questions could lead to more questions.

Regards,
Sebastian (bastik_tor)