[tor-talk] Request: would someone create a tutorial on how to examine an app for leaks?

adrelanos adrelanos at riseup.net
Fri Oct 5 16:27:09 UTC 2012

antispam06 at sent.at:
> This is a request. Would someone be so kind as to add a tutorial, in
> fact, several tutorials for how to test/see if an app is Tor ready?
>
> Cheers!

Right now, even if the upstream developer(s) were willing to to research
the question if their application is Tor-safe, they wouldn't have a
guide what they should look for. Ok, all traffic through socks5 proxy;
remote DNS; don't transfer IP inside the protocol... But what about do
not transmit the users time zone, users clock, users fonts, operating
system's account name, kernel version, application version, etc.

[1]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorifyHOWTO#Howtoreviewanapplication
[2] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2012-April/024010.html
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/5553