[tor-talk] Can we come up with a lighter, easier torified client apps ?

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Thu Oct 4 13:45:18 UTC 2012

On 4 October 2012 00:27,  <andrew at torproject.is> wrote:
> I think you would be the first to want this

I don't know if I'd say that... I think TorBrowser could be improved
by integrating Tor+Vidalia+Firefox into a single app.  This may also
go towards fixing the user confusion with having several windows
running.  Or imagine a VirtualBox where all network traffic from the
VM was automatically sent over Tor.. because Tor was embedded in it's
network emulation.

Of course those are the huge, monolithic cases.  Take simpler apps
like gpg, ssh, putty, pidgin (god help us), git, svn.  While tracking
upstream would certainly be a problem, having a statically linked tor
and a modified binary that sent everything over Tor I think would go a
long way towards getting average users using Tor safely... without
ever having to say the words "Proxy"  or "Socks" to them.

I guess the problems to overcome would be to figure out a way to track
upstream easily and identifying use cases where people would really
benefit from specific tools, to focus on those first.  TorPidginOTR
seems like it'd be a likely candidate... unless there's a
non-libpurple OTR-enabled chat client.

-tom