[tor-talk] William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Nov 29 19:31:34 UTC 2012

----- Forwarded message from "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund at medline.com> -----

From: "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund at medline.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:19:19 -0600
To: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: RE: William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if
	you can.

I think the best analogy I would use in defense is something like the
pre-paid cellular phones that are sold.  That is about the only
anonymous communications service I can think of off the top of my head.
Problem is that most people are not licensed carriers and may not be
able to hide behind that protection.

I can see an argument both ways with the feds saying that you are
running a service for the express service of concealing the identity of
a person allowing them to avoid law enforcement (among other uses).  On
the other hand, the makers of guns do not get charged with murder even
though their tool enabled a criminal.  Could go either way but the
problem is that in any case it will be expensive to defend so win or
lose, you lose.  I guess you can't run a Tor exit unless you have a
legal defense fund set up.  I understand the legit uses of Tor but
wonder what the actual percentage of good vs. evil use really is.

Steven Naslund