[tor-talk] hidden service not reachable: Your system clock just jumped 121 seconds forward; assuming established circuits no longer work.

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 25 21:12:03 UTC 2012

On 11/25/2012 9:22 AM, Andreas Krey wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 11:14:22 +0000, Quan wrote:
>> Your system clock just jumped 121 seconds forward; assuming established
>> circuits no longer work.
>> Your system clock just jumped 123 seconds forward; assuming established
>> circuits no longer work.
>> Your system clock just jumped 122 seconds forward; assuming established
>> circuits no longer work.
>> Any ideas what could cause this?
> Your system clock jumps.
>
>> p.s.: My system clock is running correctly
> Pretty definitely not. NB: The BIOS clock isn't the system clock
> of the operating system (which one?); this looks like your
> system clock gets alternatively set from two different sources
> (and to different values that are two minutes apart); or something
> similar.
>
> How often do you get these 'just jumped' messages?
>
> Andreas

I get several of these system clock messages daily.  There were 7 on
November 24, the longest being 26,172 seconds.  Since they are all in
the forward direction and I also have periodic issues with other
programs momentarily freezing, I think that it is another program
hogging resources at a level high enough to either prevent the OS
(Windows 7) from updating it's time value from the bios or preventing
Tor from updating it's clock.  The freezing programs develop wait chains
that are visible in the windows resource monitor, but I do not know how
to interpret that information.

I am running Tor 0.2.3.24rc and Vidalia 0.2.20

Alas, I do not know how to eliminate this problem either, so I would
also appreciate help with this.  I also have a problem with the RAM
filling up over time so that I need to reboot every few days.  Of course
on days when RAM usage climbs to over 80% the clock problem also gets
worse.  So far, closing programs when I am not using them has not
stretched the time to fill RAM by very much.

David C