[tor-talk] What's written to HD?

Dan Hughes danhughes146 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 18 00:20:46 UTC 2012

--- On Sat, 17/11/12, Julian Yon <julian at yon.org.uk> wrote:

Tor Browser doesn't write anything sensitive to permanent storage.
What your OS does is not under the control of the Tor Browser.

----------------------------------

TBB design document - https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/design/#disk-avoidance -

"....the browser MUST NOT write or cause the operating system to write any information about the use of private browsing to disk outside of the application's control."

What the OS is 'caused' to do by the TB seemed pertinent enough to mention there. I suppose "cause" will be disputed, but bottom line for me was.. does it happen with TBB but not Tails?

Tor Browser doesn't include Flash, so Flash concerns are irrelevant.
What standard Firefox (or any other browser) does is not under the
control of the Tor Browser.

Yes, I was just pointing out that users could screw up in Tails and not necessarily have all the same result. Point taken though.

What your OS chooses to write to its swap file(s) is not under the
control of the Tor Browser.

But they were mentioned in the same paragraph as above of the design document.
And hey, I think I might have identified a patronisation leak from your first paragragh. shall I report it? Oh, no. Looks from the moderator that it's included in the forum design document.

The rest of your post contains some useful information, some of which I knew, but I thank you for going to the trouble, even though you were obviously enjoying yourself far too much. :)

Thanks also to "anonymous" for that link about temp files - another example not covered by just "no", that your Human Rights activist with cr*p going on in their life, or ordinary person for that matter who doesn't have much computer knowledge would not be protected from with the TBB but probably would with Tails and likely would not realise it.