[tor-talk] Is there any way to know if apps leak my ip

Julian Yon julian at yon.org.uk
Fri Nov 16 13:01:56 UTC 2012

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 16:35:43 +0900
Nam Su <namfree123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to use some programs with Tor. But I know there are some
> problem to leak my ip.
>
> So I want to know if  this programs leak my ip. Is there any way to
> know?

Don't run proprietary software. Audit the source of everything you run.
Ask someone else to do the same. Enjoy the 5 years of your life it
takes to do this. Use a tool such as Wireshark to watch connections
between your application and Tor to see if you can spot your IP in any
unencrypted traffic. Consume a lot of coffee.

Alternatively, stick to using software that's already been audited by
people you trust to do a good job. Run stuff in a VM that doesn't know
your real IP. Separate processes that don't need to interact from each
other. Never use Flash.

--
3072D/F3A66B3A Julian Yon (2012 General Use) <pgp.2012 at jry.me>