[tor-talk] how useful is tormail?

whistler Whistler at nym.mixmin.net
Fri Nov 16 00:56:40 UTC 2012

On: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:11:08 -0500, Griffin Boyce <griffinboyce at gmail.com> wrote:
>On 11/15/2012 11:25 AM, eli wrote:
>> I haven't been able to access my tormail account for days.  Does anyone
>> know what's going on there?
>>
>> In view of the recent posts regarding the reliability/privacy of
>> tormail.net, and my own ignorance of this stuff, I'm asking: How useful
>> is tormail to those using the onion network to circumvent official
>> censorship?
>>
>  Privacy issues aside, Tormail has really terrible uptime for an email
>provider.  There are several that have great uptime and work really well
>under Tor. I would recommend these above Tormail:
>
>* Lavabit is one that I would recommend, as it is light, has solid
>uptime, and doesn't require javascript.
>* Vmail.me works well and offers POP/IMAP, though it does require
>javascript to create an account or use their webmail.
>* Email.is also works well, though you need another email account to
>have the password sent to.
>* GeurrillaMail.com works well as a one-time email for account
>confirmations and if you just need to send one message.
>
>Zoho comes highly recommended, but in testing I wasn't able to create an
>account while using Tor.  And for me at least, Gmail is unusable in the
>browser under tor.
>
>  Of course, no email provider provides complete content privacy --
>right now only PGP encryption can offer that.
>
>Best,
>Griffin Boyce

The criteria for a webmail provider that I look for are:
	Tor access allowed for signup via lynx browser,
		or else signup via mixmaster (none do?)
	does not require javascript for sign up, if via browser
	once signed up, allows sending and receiving over torified IMAP

The webmail services that I have found that satisfy those are:
	riseup.net
	www.autistici.org
	privatdemail.net
	jhiwjjlqpyawmpjx.onion (tormail)