[tor-talk] misconfigured mailing list (mailman software) for torproject discloses passwords in plaintext (stores too?)

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Nov 11 02:48:53 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Roger Dingledine's message of Fri Nov 09 18:41:06 -0500 2012:
> On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 06:09:36PM -0500, Matthew Fisch wrote:
> > I used a unique random password for this mailing list, I'm going to
> >guess however a significant portion of the mailing list either uses this
> >password in other locations, a significant subset of them probably can't
> >trust their mailbox to be secure.
>
> I won't use the phrase "industry standard mailing list software" because
> I hate it when other people use that phrase. But really, this is how
> every free-software mailing list system works these days.
>
> I'd be surprised if more than a trivial number of users on the Tor
> lists picked a password at all. Typically people just let it choose
> a random password for them, and it's nice to have that reminder sent
> monthly because nobody ever knows their list password (for good reason --
> there's barely a need to have a password for a mailing list subscription
> in the first place).
>
> Maybe we should find a way to wrestle it into not letting you pick a
> password for yourself?

What I've done for this is to simply remove the password fields from the
form. Then it autoassigns you a password.

(Viewing the source, I see what I did instead was to put it in an HTML
comment.)

I brought that trick with me to other domains, e.g.

Contrast with e.g.
password form is visible.

It's fairly simple edit to the default mailman template, as I recall,
and these changes I made have successfully stuck around across upgrades
and more.

Users will still need to use the list password to do things like change
one's email address on the list and a few other obscure things. My hack
is just a UI fix that papers over the deep insanity of Mailman
passwords, and I rank it quite high for cost-effectiveness. So please
consider it! I hope it fits y'all's needs.

-- Asheesh.