[tor-talk] Is using JavaScript with Tor browser safe?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Fri Nov 9 17:03:17 UTC 2012

On 11/9/2012 8:19 AM, Nam Su wrote:
> I saw some Internet pages. In there, they can know my ip with JavaScript in spite of using Tor.
>
> I can't believe this but I am worried about this.
>
> Is it true?

Short answer is no, if you don't change a bunch of default settings in
TBB, or don't use addons / plugins (that just happen) to be ones that
COULD leak your identity.  ONE of the ways that MIGHT happen is if an
addon you install doesn't use the Tor network / proxy (port that Tor
uses) & bypasses Tor to connect to internet.

The NoScript addon included in TBB (w/ settings that Tor devs believe
are "safe") - does allow JS, because many pages would partly or totally
not work w/o it.  But NS has many other safety features that prevent
MISuse of JS, and many other features.