[tor-talk] Denied with disposable/free mail services?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Fri Nov 9 06:00:43 UTC 2012

On 11/8/2012 2:53 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> What forum[s], or categories of forums, feel they are so in tune with
> their userbase as to be able to deny access to the untold millions of
> legitimate (and exclusive) users of free email services (gmail, yahoo,
> etc)?
I don't know.  I just know the reason(s) stated.  Since I don't see tons
of forums banning free email accts, I wonder why the sites that aren't
banning them?  Unless somehow their servers, software, etc., don't even
let most spam hit their server.
Once it hits the server, even if filtered out, it's already increased
data load (if they have a limit that would conceivably be approached) &
takes up bandwidth.  Maybe some sites banning free email don't want to
deal w/ spam in any shape, form or fashion.

Or maybe they have some economic arrangement, if all their users have
"big ISP" email, who are also possibly tied closely to big advertising
companies?  As they say, "Follow the money."
> I'd like to keep this thread strictly on the topic of email as in the
> OP and leave the question/details of spam/advertising/speed to other
> threads.
Sure.  But it ties right back into one of the reason forums have given
(that I've seen) & a plausible reason WHY they're banning free email.
Excessive spam for forums (which is comparable to excessive ads for
users), increases data load, eats bandwidth.