[tor-talk] Denied with disposable/free mail services?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Thu Nov 8 04:15:25 UTC 2012

On 11/5/2012 3:45 PM, grarpamp wrote:
>   I wanted to survey
> peoples experiences with denials keyed to attempted use of particular
> mail service providers. What are the trends or characteristics here?
>
> I'm more interested in experiences with regular full (IMAP/POP/SMTP/HTTP)
> yet free mail services being denied? And if that denial varies based
> on the perceived (presumably as seen by the target site's management)
> size, glamour, professionalism, security, catered user base, or
> obscurity of the mail service you attempted to use?

I've seen some forums recently saying they've decided to deny
registration w/ any free email service, including Gmail, etc.
Reason usually given is too much spam is generated from those free accts
(using the forums' bandwidth / increased data use).

So far, I haven't seen a lot of forums going this route, but it seems
more common than a few yrs ago.

That sort of ties in w/ my post about ads slowing down TBB page
TONS of ads) are using every users bandwidth & increasing their data usage.
Every home user pays their ISP & usually has a data limit / day or /
mo.  Ads cause more transferred data - for home users & Tor network.  It
might not be in Tor Project's best interest to block all ads, but in non
Tor use, I block them because of slow down, some are obnoxious,
increasing my data usage & the possibility of some being malicious.

I'd be happy to allow a couple of small ads on most sites (ignoring
safety issue, for now), but most don't stop at one or two.  And they
have to be LARGE & shiny to grab your attention, meaning larger & larger
data size.