[tor-talk] ads slow Tor Browser dramatically

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Thu Nov 8 03:49:59 UTC 2012

On 11/7/2012 10:27 AM, Julian Yon wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 16:14:25 +0000
> adrelanos <adrelanos at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> Aside from my thoughts on advertising as an adversary, I do think that
> the load on the network and associated slowdown is a problem. I only
> run a relay on and off but I do wonder how much of my bandwidth is
> being leeched by commercial entities. By rights they should be paying
> me for it!

This is off topic, but your comment made me think of a battle a few yrs
back between corporations / offices & "fax marketers" sending out
advertising to company fax machines.
The idea (& objection) was the marketers were using the companies'
machines, electricity, paper for free, to advertise.  Not sure what
became of that or if it's a non issue now, w/ email being dominant.

It's the same concept of why ISPs & even gov't cracks down on email
spammers.  Clogging up the system & using others' resources for free,
when the spam isn't welcome.