[tor-talk] ads slow Tor Browser dramatically

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Wed Nov 7 19:26:49 UTC 2012

On 11/07/2012 05:52 PM, andrew at torproject.is wrote:
> I like https://www.requestpolicy.com/. Never request the 3rd party domains
> in the first place. However, for most users, it makes the web unusable
> because they don't understand how websites really work these days. As a

Interesting.. was considering this exact feature for Orweb. At the very
least, I want to load third-party domain content in a separate
background thread, so that the primary content on the page loads faster.

Another take on this whole "no ad" / faster experience, is something
like Readability (http://www.readability.com/) which renders a web page
as a well-formatted, print/type centric experience. Obviously people use
Tor for more than reading lengthy articles, but this does establish a
user-focused standard to content access, as opposed to a publisher
driven preference.

+n