[tor-talk] Confusion about Tor log messages showing relay addresses

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sat Nov 3 23:15:59 UTC 2012

Follow up.  Noticed that almost every address listed as a WARNING in Tor
log, as _possibly leaking my destination_, was the address of a relay
that was in process of or had just been closed - best I could tell.

For the last relay in the network map list, the addresses building, then
immediately closing, were flying by like a stock ticker.  I refreshed
the network & waited till it stabilized.  That *somewhat* slowed the #
of addresses building / opening, then immediately
closing.  Result was the same.  All addresses being listed, where "one
of your applications [apparently Tor]  established a connection through
Tor (then lists address), using a protocol that may leak information.... "

I don't know the real cause or problem, but it seems the warning message
is misleading about what's really happening.

Is this a glitch in the type of messages generated for Tor circuits /
addresses being closed;
or is there potentially a real problem here or is something possibly not
setup correctly in my Tor / TBB installation?