[tor-talk] torsocks is broken and unmaintained

adrelanos adrelanos at riseup.net
Sat Nov 3 12:42:44 UTC 2012

Matthew Finkel:
> On 11/02/2012 07:36 PM, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
>> Nick Mathewson:

>>> I'd like to see more discussion from more people here first, and see
>>> whether somebody steps up to say, "Yeah, I can maintain that" here, or
>>> whether somebody else who knows more than me about the issues has something
>>> to say.  Otherwise I don't know whether to write a "looking for maintainer"
>>> post, a "who wants to fork" post, a "don't use Torsocks, use XYZZY" post,
>>> or what.
>>>

>> If Robert wants someone to maintain it, I'd be happy to do so. I had
>> wanted to extend it to do some various things anyway. I think it would
>> be a suitable base for a bunch of things I'd like to do in the next year.
>>
>> All the best,
>> Jake
>>

> I saw this thread earlier but didn't have a chance to reply. I was
> thinking about volunteering to patch it up and maintain it if no one
> else wanted to take it on, also, but if you want to take the lead on it
> then I'm more than happy to help you where ever possible...assuming this
> is the direction that's decided upon.
>
> Matt

This is a great development. I am sure torsocks has enough issues for
two developers.

The next logical could be to get control over the old google code
hosting, close the google code tracker, announce a news and redirect
users and to import everything to torproject.org trac.

Once I can post to the issue tracker I will help with testing, reporting
bugs, patch the usewithtor/uwt script to your liking (if like me to and
don't want to put this into the core). No miracles either.

Cheers,
adrelanos