[tor-talk] Emulating a VPN service with Tor (security vs performance)

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) lists at infosecurity.ch
Sat Nov 3 07:02:13 UTC 2012

On 11/3/12 4:09 AM, grarpamp wrote:
> I hope to test some clearnet 2 hop VPN service with double
> encryption to feel that part.
I thin that also one-hop works and that in general Tor is too restricted
given it's threat model.

Generally my feeling is that Tor should "evolve" into something more
flexible within the balance of performance vs anonymity.

I remember that freenet, at first startup, trough a wizard ask the
end-user a set of questions and depending on the user answers (related
to it's threat model) adjust the performance/security ratio.

Imho that is the natural path to look for, having Tor behave in
different way depending on use choices.

Fabio