[tor-talk] ads slow Tor Browser dramatically

k e bera keb at cyblings.on.ca
Sat Nov 3 03:29:56 UTC 2012

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 13:06:50 -0500
Joe Btfsplk <joebtfsplk at gmx.com> wrote:

> Most everyone's read the advice about not using extra addons / plugins
> in TBB, due to possible anonymity leaks.  I understand.
> TBB is already slow, which is understandable.  Using "stock" TBB that
> allows ads & possibly other items increasing bandwidth is far slower on
> many sites - even news sites - than same TBB version w/ just AdBlock Plus.
> Sometimes so slow, it's not worth using it.  In tests - _at the same
> time_ - using another TBB install w/ - only - AdBlock Plus, vast
> majority of those slow sites w/ big or multiple ads load much faster.

I'm not sure why there would be leaks with ABP.  Afaik it doesnt send information.  However it does update its blocklists which might be language-specific, which splits the anonymity set (if i understand the concept).

Regarding use of ABP itself among non-Tor users, i have personally installed it on hundreds of computers every year while servicing them and updating Firefox. So i am sure the user base is at least as large as the TBB user base.

> Since addons are a no - no, & since TBB often loads sites w/ ads at a
> snail's pace, might it be possible to modify TBB or verify / modify some
> addon, so most ads will be blocked & anonymity will be safe?
> It already uses addons for other purposes, that checked for any info
> leaks.  Blocking ads isn't Tor devs' main concern, but they should be
> concerned about usability.

Perhaps there is a concern about ability to fix vulnerabilities in the code - who will do that and maintain it.  Do they accept patches?  It seems to use Mozilla Public License.

> Some say, those sites need revenue to keep running.  Fine.  But they
> don't have to have multiple *extremely* _graphic & script laden_ ads,
> that slow TBB page loading to a crawl, sometimes making it unusable.
> There must be some reasonable middle ground somewhere.

ABP itself has changed default policy to accept some simple text ads, on the grounds of keeping small well behaved websites alive.  Should we be worried about ad-revenue corruption and creep?