[tor-talk] [rt.torproject.org #5761] Connecting a browser which is not SOCKS compatible.

Stephen Carpenter thecarp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 12:20:18 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 12:19:33AM -0600, Mason Mack wrote:
(snip)
> proxyAddress = "66.66.66.66"  ###Best I could come up with

The problem appears to be here.
(snip)
> allowedClients = "127.0.0.1, 192.168.0.0/24"  ###Not sure if I was supposed
> to change this one

You didn't need to change it...see below

> Am I doing something wrong, or is it just not working?

192.168.0.0/24 is your network in CIDR format, you didn't need to
change allowedClients because this covers the entire subnet.

You can think of IP as split into two networks at the subnet boundary.
Everything in the same subnet is local, everything outside it is not. If its
in the same subnet, nodes deliver directly. If its outside then they hand it
off to the gateway to route.

The upshot is, the machine running the proxy probably has a 192.168.0.x
address. That is the address you need to use for the proxyAddress.

All that said, I would recomend doing a bit of reading up on how IP networks
work, and learn the issues involved. I can't even go into right now what my
concerns with this setup would be, if it were being used for something serious.

I wouldn't expect this is the most unbreakable setup, especially with the
wii involved, it isn't a platform that was designed to protect your identity, it
was made to identify you to nintendo and use their marketplace. Who knows what
you are expsosing and in what way?

However if you just want the bragging rites for having your wii connect over
tor, that IP would be where I would look.

-Steve